In this article I explain a relatively simple, natural, and potentially very effective answer to a question I started asking over 25 years ago. I will share with you some important discoveries about a physiological way you may be able to increase your capacity for spiritual perception, intuitive comprehension, and connection to the subtle dimensions of your Being. The question I wanted to solve was how to remove excess fluoride from the body and, more especially, the pineal gland.
Article Content Links
- Introduction—My fluoride story
- Major sources of fluoride
- Natural elimination of fluoride from the pineal and body
- Protocol for elimination of Fluoride and heavy metals
- What to take, and when
This story began when I discovered what was in the tap water in Auckland, New Zealand. I was not able to drink tap water as a child. I would drink litres of milk each day, but tap water and I just never got along. I’d feel thirsty and yet a few mouthfuls of water later I would feel completely “full,” and yet still just as thirsty. I am grateful New Zealand had relatively high-quality milk from hormone and antibiotic free grass-fed cows, because bovine boob juice is what came to my rescue in times of thirst. Lots of it.
At around age 13 my father had an advanced water filtration system installed at his house. That resulted in me having my first full glasses of water directly from the tap. I have vivid memories of that moment. Curious, I asked my father’s friend who—a water scientists and inventor, who did the installation—what his filter was taking out. He mentioned a lot of things, but the two that stood out for me were chlorine and fluoride. I found out fluoride is relatively difficult to remove from water once it is added, and that it’s poisonous.
Fluoride’s effect on the psyche and consciousness
Around that same time in my life I spent countless hours talking with another friend of my father. His name is Glen Atkinson. Glen has extensive knowledge and practical experience of the teachings of Rudolf Steiner, especially Steiner’s system of Biodynamics. One thing I learnt from Glen was about the Biodynamic role of all the major elements. He mentioned that the halides have a binding, crystallising, and restricting effect on life-energies, and life-processes. The halide that does this most insidiously is fluoride which, according to what I learnt from Glen, has the effect of restricting the flow and expansion of consciousness. It also restricts the flow of calcium ions in the body, one of the effects of which is osteoporosis (the bones become hardened and brittle).
Later I learned of farmers in New Zealand adding fluoride to the drinking water of bulls. They’d do this when they brought a horny bull to the farm for breeding purposes (of course nowadays it’s nearly all done artificially). Understandably, when the cows are “on heat” it is very difficult to keep a bull enclosed in a separate area. It will do what it can to get to the cows, even if that means harming itself trying to break through barb wire fences. Sodium fluoride was added to the drinking water to subdue the bull into accepting its situation (i.e. accepting that it was locked into a paddock separated from the cows it greatly desired to impregnate).
Nazi use of fluoride?
In the early 1990’s I read the claim that Hitler had experimented in various methods of mind-control, and population control. According to those making this claim, it is said one method he found very successful was the introduction of sodium fluoride into the water supply of the the concentration camps. Apparently this was used in concentration camps in Germany and in Russia, with the idea being it would make the people more susceptible to propaganda and diminish their capacity to think freely, spiritually, laterally, and outside the box (or the fences, as the case may be). I’ve searched extensively online for information that substantiates these claims, and I’ve never been able to find any. So I categorise it as little more than an interesting hearsay for now.
Poisoning ourselves with tea?
Starting in the late 1990’s I worked extensively with thyroid and hormonal health, as part of a natural health company I operated for close to seven years, until around 2003. Whilst researching causes of thyroid malfunction I discovered fluoride (and bromide) negatively impact the thyroid. That lead to me researching common sources of fluoride ingestion. I learned that black and green teahttps://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S027869150700511Xhttps://truthaboutfluoride.com/fluoride-in-tea/ have relatively high levels of naturally occurring fluoride in them. There’s a useful article on this here. The tea plant absorb fluoride from the soil, which has increased greatly since the era of industrialisation (and subsequent pollution). I found this interesting, as tea is something else my body “told” me not to have ever since I was a child. Despite living in a tea drinking family (being English descendants) I had a strong aversion to tea drinking. I might have had a few cups of tea in my whole life. Whilst I could not give a rational explanation about this at the time, the intuitive feeling I had was that there was something innately “unconscious” about black tea drinking. Years later, discovering that it contains a fair amount of fluoride, this started to make some sense.
By the way, if you are a major tea drinker (as many people in England and India are), tea is likely the primary source of fluoride in your diet. I understand a cup of tea can contain as much as 200 parts per billion (although it’s usually less than that). A cup of black tea has significantly more fluoride in it just about every other food you are likely to ingest, especially if you are using fluoridated water to make your tea. Instant tea powder is even worse (by a very large margin). Look tea up on this document from the USDA.
Fluoride and the pineal gland
Something else I turned up during my thyroid related research is that ingested fluoride accumulates most readily in the pineal gland Fluoride Deposition in the Aged Human Pineal GlandFluoride Action Network: Pineal. If you are not familiar with the mystical/esoteric history of the pineal gland please research this on the Internet. Simply put, the pineal has been considered over millennia to be of great importance in our connection to spirit, to inner knowing, and to Life around and within us. I see it as “the window of the soul”, with the heart being the seat of the soul, and the doorway to the Spirit. It is our connection to spirit that allows us to transcend the inherent imbalances in the paradigm our society lives within and maintains. It plays an important role is Man thinking beyond the bounds of materialism (perhaps more accurately referred to as, Superficialism), beyond the lies we are feed by society, religion, and so forth; beyond the dimension of time and space.
Fluoride is also absorbed by the pituitary glandEffect of fluoride on endocrine tissues and their secretory functionsFluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA’s StandardsPituitary – Adverse Effects
Fluorinated and Fluoride Pesticides, which is the master regulator of hormones in your body.
Fluoride and IQ levels
There is already research indicating fluoride contributes to a reduction in IQ of children who were studied Harvard Study Confirms Fluoride Reduces Children’s IQ A recent report from the U.S. National Research Council (NRC 2006) concluded that adverse effects of high fluoride concentrations in drinking water may be of concern and that additional research is warranted. Fluoride may cause neurotoxicity in laboratory animals, including effects on learning and memory[/ref]. It’s also worth pointing out that insufficient iodine has also been shown to reduce IQ. Fluoride displaces iodine in the body, so whether these two substances are both reducing IQ is hard to say. Perhaps fluoride impacts IQ because of the effect it has on human iodine levels.
Official US recommendations on fluoride?
Even staunch government advocates of fluoridation in the US have in recent years been changing tact. According to an article on Mercola.com the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American Dental Association have been recommending against fluoridation in situations impacting young children. It’s an article worth reading. In that same article Dr Mercola mentions the following negative effects of fluoride ingestion:
- Increases lead absorption
- Genetic damage and cell death
- Disrupts synthesis of collagen
- Bone fractures
- Increases tumour and cancer rate
- Hyperactivity and/or lethargy
- Lowers thyroid function
- Disrupts immune system
- Muscle disorders
- Bone cancer (osteosarcoma)
- Damages sperm and increases infertility
- Brain damage and lowered IQ
- Inactivates 62 enzymes
- Impairs sleep by impairing melatonin production by your pineal gland
- Inhibits formation of antibodies
With all this, and more, in mind, I kept asking myself, “How on Earth can I help people remove excess fluoride from their body and their pineal?” Only recently have I started to find satisfactory answers, after I renewed my efforts in this area of research.
Here is a list of some of the most prevalent sources of fluoride people are exposed to in today’s world (a handy list from Fluoride Action Network):
- Dental Products: Many dental products now contain fluoride, including over 95% of toothpaste. Studies show that a significant number of children swallow more fluoride from toothpaste alone than is recommended as a total daily ingestion.
- Processed Beverages & Foods: Even if you don’t live in a community that adds fluoride to its water supply, you will still be exposed to fluoridated drinking water. This is because once fluoride is added en masse to water it winds in almost all processed beverages and foods. In the U.S., studies have shown that sodas, juices, sports drinks, beers, and many other processed foods, including infant foods, now have elevated fluoride levels.
- Pesticides: Due its toxicity, fluoride is used in some pesticides to kill insects and other pests. As a result of fluoride pesticide use, some food products–particularly grape products, dried fruit, dried beans, cocoa powder, and walnuts–have high levels of fluoride. Read more.
- Tea Drinks: Tea plants absorb fluoride from the soil. As a result, tea leaves–particularly old tea leaves–contain high levels of fluoride. Brewed black tea averages about 3 to 4 parts ppm fluoride, while commercial iced tea drinks contain between 1 and 4 ppm. As a result of these elevated levels, numerous studies have linked excessive tea consumption to a bone disease (skeletal fluorosis) caused by too much fluoride intake.
- Fluorinated Pharmaceuticals: Many pharmaceuticals are fluorinated, meaning they contain a carbon-fluorine bond. fluorine.” Although the carbon-fluoride bond in most drugs is strong enough to resist breaking down into fluoride within the body, this is not always the case as research has found that some fluorinated drugs, including Cipro, do break down into fluoride and can thus be a major source of fluoride exposure for some individuals.
- Mechanically Deboned Meat: Foods made with mechanically separated meat (e.g., chicken fingers, nuggets, etc), contain elevated levels of fluoride due to the contamination from bone particles that occurs during the mechanical deboning processed. Mechanically processed chicken meats have the highest levels, with chicken sticks containing an average of 3.6 ppm. Read more about deboned chicken. and Read meat sources of fluoride
- Teflon Pans: Cooking food, or boiling water, in teflon pans may increase the fluoride content of food. In one study, it was found that boiling water in a teflon pan for just 15 minutes added an additional 2 ppm of fluoride to the water, thus bringing the final concentration to 3 ppmFull & Parkins 1975. Read more
- Workplace Exposure: Fluoride is a common air contaminant in industrial workplaces. As a result, workers in many heavy industries — including the aluminium, fertilizer, iron, oil refining, semi-conductor, and steel industries — can be routinely exposed to high levels of fluoride exposure. In addition to being a significant risk factor for respiratory disease; airborne fluorides can be a huge daily source fluoride intake.
I add the following to the above list…
- Fluoridate table salt: Just as iodine is added to table salt in many countries, the fluoridation of salt is a practice that started in Switzerland in the 1950’s, and is now legally required throughout most of Central America, and various other countries.
- Teflon sprays, coatings, fabric treatments, etc.: Consider fabrics on sofas, car interiors, etc., that may have been treated with Telfon based stain retardants.
- Numerous other processed foods: Take a look at this list.
Of course for at least 25 years I have recommended people avoid all sources of fluoride, most especially fluoridated water, and (since my thyroid research in the late 90’s) black and green tea. Yet most people I meet are likely already loaded up with fluoride. According to the scientific study I read on the effect of fluoride on the pinealFluoride Deposition in the Aged Human Pineal Gland, the average person by the time they are in their mid-thirties has a pineal gland that is more like a small, hard, fluoride-based pebble. It is filled with fluoride and basically dead. So how do people get this out?
Recently I was refreshing my research into iodine. I had already done extensive research into iodine during my thyroid health company days. Only in this more recent iodine investigation did I discover taking high levels of iodine and iodide will literally cause the body to dump out (into your urine) fluoride. Bingo!
Here is a relevant quote from Dr. James Howenstine (M.D.):
“Iodine therapy helps the body eliminate fluoride, bromine, lead, cadmium, arsenic, aluminum and mercury. Could this substitution of bromine for iodine have been carried out to increase diseases and thus create more need for pharmaceutical drugs?”
Here is an excellent and informative article from Dr. Howenstine on the wonders of iodine.
I have also discovered that, according to one study done on rats In vivo efficacy of tamarind (Tamarindus indica) fruit extract on experimental fluoride exposure in rats., Tamarind fruit removes fluoride from the body. In fact another study shows Tamarind shell carbon can apparently be used to remove fluoride from groundwater. Another study shows tamarind and Moringa oleifera seed extract removes fluoride from the body. There is also a study done on humans affirming these same findings.
Moringa has many noteworthy health benefits, and I recommend it for more than just fluoride detoxification. Please note all the research I have found regarding Moringa oleifera and fluoride removal (from the body and from groundwater) was done using the seeds. Most of the Moringa oleifera supplements on the market are made with the leaves, and I have not yet been able to determine if these also help in fluoride detox. I recommend buying organic seed and making a tea from them. Grind them into a powder, and infuse in hot water. Make sure the seeds are organic, and not coated in anything (such as anti-fungal treatments applied to most commercial seed).
Recently I have also been learning more about sodium tetraborate, commonly known as borax. Despite its common reputation [mostly in its boric acid form] (as a wood bleach, roach and ant killer, and laundry additive, and more) it in fact has a wide range of health benefits when ingested. It is a natural substance. One of those is in the treatment of cancer. But we won’t get into that now. What is relevant to this article is that the ingestion of borax has been shown to chelate fluoride from the body.
Borax is a naturally occurring source of boron. Here is one quote from research I did into the effect of boron on the body:
“Boron effectively counteracts symptoms of fluoride intoxication in humans (Zhou et al. 1987) and in experimentally poisoned rabbits (Elsair et al. 1980a, 1980b, 1981). Men suffering from skeletal fluorosis experienced 50 to 80% improvement after drinking solutions containing 300 to 1,100 mg of borax/L daily, 3 weeks a month for 3 months (Zhou et al. 1987). Boron enhances sequestration of fluoride from bone and excretion through kidneys and possibly the intestinal tract (Elair et al. 1980a, 1981)”
If you are looking for the best price on borax in New Zealand, here’s an article with the details of what I found was available, and the best price.
Whilst activated charcoal will reportedly remove (some) fluoride from water, apparently there is little, if any evidence to suggest it has the same effect in the body (when ingesting a.c.).
Concentrated Kelp Extract ( Biofilam® )
There’s an extraordinary product I’ve been working with (as a Traditional Naturopath) since around 2003 called Biofilam. It is a cold-processed powdered concentrate of the gel from inside giant kelp (Laminaria japonica, aka. Kombu). It was developed in Russia in the 1950’s. It has many extraordinary healing properties, and is a great support to the body in too many ways to mention here. I wrote an article on it here, and I also have a website (inspirednutritionals.com) dedicated to information on this product, where I am also providing it in powder form to my friends and clients at a very much more affordable price (much cheaper than it is commonly available for). It is rich in iodine (which, as mentioned, displaced fluoride from the body), and it rich in alginates which greatly support the elimination of heavy metals, many other toxins and, I suspect, fluoride. I recommend taking 5 grams of this powder daily, for 4 to 6 months. For a 6 month protocol 1kg of the powder is required.
Turmeric (one of my favourites medicinal spices)
Another great support with fluoride toxicity is turmeric. A study published in Pharmacognosy Magazine titled, “Curcumin attenuates neurotoxicity induced by fluoride: An in vivo evidence,” indicates that turmeric can prevent and even reverse damage from exposure to toxic fluoride. This study concludes,
“Our study thus demonstrate that a daily single dose of 120 ppm Fluoride results in highly significant increases in the LPO as well as neurodegenerative changes in neuron cell bodies of selected hippocampal regions. Supplementation with curcumin [found in highly levels in turmeric] significantly reduced the toxic effect of Fluoride to a near normal level by augmenting the antioxidant defence through its scavenging property and provided evidence of having a therapeutic role against oxidative stress mediated neurodegeneration.” [this quotation includes minor corrections I have made to the English]
If you are in the USA, you can readily buy good quality organic, non-irradiated turmeric powder on Amazon.com. I include turmeric powder in my morning smoothie, and add it to much of my cooking. It’s important to note that its positive effects are greatly enhanced by the presence of piperine, which is found in freshly ground black pepperBenefits of (Curcumin) Turmeric Enhanced by Black Pepper.
If adding in black pepper is not convenient, you can also buy Piperine in an isolated form. It’s readily available on Amazon.com (and iHerb.com for international purchases with low cost shipping). Just add a small capsule of piperine to your smoothie or turmeric drink. It may also increase the bioavailability of many of the other nutrients in your smoothie. You’ll find my “Swamp Juice” smoothie recipe here.
Here is my current recommended protocol for fluoride, bromide, and heavy metal elimination / detoxification. These are all known to disrupt the thyroid and/or pineal gland. The sooner your body is free of them, the better. I have provided links to these products on Amazon.com (NB. the links will convert to Amazon in your country is there is a local equivalent)
- Biofilam (concentrated kelp gel extract): This is an excellent product I have been using and recommending to clients for many years (since 2004). It provides every mineral and trace-element your body needs, plus loads of iodine, and lots of alginates which are proven to pull heavy metals and radioactive isotopes out of the body. You can buy it at the best possible price here, and also learn all about it. I’ve also posted an article on it here.
- Chlorella (cracked cell, aka. “broken wall”): Take daily. Start with around a 1/4 teaspoon, and build up to at least 1 heaped teaspoon a day. NOW Foods Chlorella Pure Powder, 1 Pound.
- Hawaiian spirulina: Take 1/2 to three table spoons a day. Nutrex Hawaii Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica Powder, 16-Ounce Bottle.
- Borax / Boron: 1/32 of a teaspoon to 1/4 of a teaspoon in one liter of water consumed in small quantities throughout the day. Around 1/8 of a teaspoon with a pinch of pure sea salt in a litre consumed in small quantities daily has been reported to have dramatic results. There is the possibility of a food grade version with sodium borate, if you can find it. It may be advised to mix it with baking soda. Please research this further in order to make your own informed decision. It is somewhat controversial. Alternatively take a boron supplement.
- Tamarind paste or fruit, and Tamarind leaf: Has be shown to help with fluoride toxicity and related symptoms Tamarindus indica L. and Moringa oleifera M. extract administration ameliorates fluoride toxicity in rabbitsIn vivo efficacy of tamarind (Tamarindus indica) fruit extract on experimental fluoride exposure in rats.Add tAmeliorative effect of tamarind leaf on fluoride-induced metabolic alterations.[/ref]. I suggest adding this to your diet. The fruit pulp can be made into a delicious tea. The leaf powder can be added to a smoothie. Here’s an example of Tamarind Paste on Amazon.com.
- Moringa oleifera leaf extract, powder, etc.: Take this for its many health benefits. Grow it if your climate is suitable. It prefers semi-arid, tropical, and sub-tropical climates. Moringa Powder 1.1lb/17.6oz. (500 grams) Organic Ghana Grown.
- Moringa oleifera seed powder: Makes into a daily tea. You could even drink this in place of black tea (if you happen to be a tea drinker). Scientific studies indicate Moringa seed is relatively effect as a fluoride detox agent [ref].
- Iodine/iodide: Under the direction of a suitably educated health practitioner, take up to 100mg of iodine/iodide per day for up to three months. This should bring your iodine levels up to a good level. Then reduce this to around 13 mg a day. An easy form is in pills under the brand Iodoral. Optimox Iodoral 180 tabs.
- According to Naturalnews.com, Lecithin is recommended as an adjunct to using iodine for excreting fluorides.
- Magnesium oil: Whilst using iodine, and any time you like really, use magnesium oil on your body. This provides an excellent source of magnesium. If you are iodine deficient you are likely magnesium deficient too. And apparently increasing iodine will cause some magnesium to be eliminated from the body. It is also said that it will leech some calcium form the body. My understanding is most people have way too much free calcium in their body, I am not convinced we need to supplement with more calcium whilst using iodine. That is something you may want to look into yourself. Pure Magnesium Oil From the Ancient Zechstein Sea
- Selenium: An excellent source of selenium is Brazil nuts. Just 10 nuts a day should give you all the selenium your body needs. Another source is garlic. Use fresh, freeze-dried, or aged. Selenium helps the body eliminate heavy metals.
- Sea vegetables: I eat a LOT of sea vegetables. My favorite is Karengo, from New Zealand. I eat up to a handful of it almost every day. Add sea vegetables to your diet. If you can’t handle the taste or find them hard to come by, kelp tablets may be the way to go. A great source of all minerals, including plenty of Iodine. Bladderwrack (usually taken as an extract) is a sea vegetable particularly rich in iodine.
- Shilajit: Among other things, this provides a lot of fulvic acid. Aside from its reported anti-aging effects, it also helps the body when eliminating toxins and heavy metals. Sunfood Shilajit Extract Powder, 100g, 50% Fulvic Acid, Raw.
- MSM: This provides important sulphur. I include it in this protocol because it is reported to help the cells to eliminate toxins and to take in nutrients. It opens and helps clear the blood vessels and fine blood capillaries in the body. I think this is important because when the vessels are clogged and jammed up, it is much harder for the body to move out toxins. MSM (sulphur) is also vitally important in the glutathione system which plays a key role in the elimination of toxins and heavy metals, etc. [Refer in my response to the comment from Steve, below, for links to interesting articles on MSM in this regard]
Use only OptiMSM for guaranteed purity. Pure OptiMSM Powder. Also check out Jarrow Formulas OptiMSM 35oz which is often at an excellent price.
- Vitamin C: Take plenty of vitamin c in the form of mineral ascorbates (not ascorbic acid). Sodium Ascorbate Powder – 2.2 lbs – Powder, Source Naturals Magnesium Ascorbate 1000 Mg, 120 Count.
If you have any questions about the above protocol, feel free to comment with questions.
An important point was raised in the Comments, which I will address here. Liz asked,
Are you suggesting it is necessary to use all these products simultaneously, or just select one or two? How many are enough, and is there any risk with doing too many at once? Any cross interactions? thanks for clarification
Here are my suggestions:
There are not really any absolutes when it comes to living systems (such as the body-mind). So I can’t answer this question in absolute terms, in terms of a fixed yes or no.
From my perspective, under most circumstances (but there are always going to be exceptions) most people are unlikely to be at risk of harm by taking all these foods/products over a similar given time frame. these are simply functional foods, so significant detrimental cross interactions are not likely. There are, however, many potentially useful cross interactions (or synergistic effects) one might expect. For instance, some of these substances are particular good at helping the body mobilise heavy metals and toxic halides (e.g. MSM, Iodine) and others are particularly good at helping the body eliminate such substances (e.g. Biofilam and Chlorella). Others are particularly good at providing a protective factor (e.g. the vitamin C, etc.), and some simply help with other factors of the detox process (e.g. selenium, vitamin C, chlorella, etc.). So they all work together.
Obviously, it is up to each person to use their own wisdom (which may include calling upon the wisdom of a suitably experienced holistic health practitioner) to determine what works best for them. I have extensive personal experience with using all of the products/foods on this list (except Borax as a boron source, as I’ve yet to invest time into tracking down pharmaceutical/food-grade sodium tetraborate (in New Zealand) to experiment with.
If I was to pick just a few items from this list, it would likely be:
- Biofilam (raw kelp extract concentrate)
- Chlorella Powder
- MSM (OptiMSM)
- Vitamin C (ideally in a lyposomal form, which is easy to make oneself)
But for serious fluoride elimination I would seriously consider adding in the other foods/substances I’ve mentioned.
Please do not consider the above information to be a precise protocol, which would include a more clearly defined regime of the exact amounts of each, and when to take them, and in what order, etc. What I have provided is a general guideline for someone with the knowledge/wisdom to figure out a protocol that works for them, or to figure it out with a suitably experienced holistic health practitioner. Nothing in this article should be misconstrued as medical advice.
Related articles (off-site)
Footnotes & References
|⇧3, ⇧10||Fluoride Deposition in the Aged Human Pineal Gland|
|⇧4||Fluoride Action Network: Pineal|
|⇧5||Effect of fluoride on endocrine tissues and their secretory functions|
|⇧6||Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA’s Standards|
|⇧7||Pituitary – Adverse Effects|
Fluorinated and Fluoride Pesticides
|⇧8||Harvard Study Confirms Fluoride Reduces Children’s IQ|
|⇧9||Full & Parkins 1975|
|⇧11, ⇧14||In vivo efficacy of tamarind (Tamarindus indica) fruit extract on experimental fluoride exposure in rats.|
|⇧12||Benefits of (Curcumin) Turmeric Enhanced by Black Pepper.|
|⇧13||Tamarindus indica L. and Moringa oleifera M. extract administration ameliorates fluoride toxicity in rabbits|